Monday, December 14, 2009

DOL 34




Hi there everyone! I have good news..I've made it past 1500 grams! I'm 3 lbs., 5 oz.! That's great news!

I'm doing pretty darn well here. I only have one concern right now. My hematocrit levels are down, because my bone marrow is not quite up to speed yet for full-production of blood cells. But, they say that my reticulocyte levels (the level of immature blood cells) is headed up, so hopefully they will mature soon and will raise my hematocrit levels. Low hematocrit levels (anemia) can cause my circulatory/respiratory systems to work harder, since there aren't as many blood cells to do all the work. Plus, it makes me look washed-out and pale for the cameras!

I really want my hematocrit (" 'crit " as we call it in the NICU) levels to go up, because I worry about having to get a transfusion. They haven't said that I need a transfusion yet, but I'm hoping to avoid it. This is an entirely safe procedure, it's just that I want to avoid it if I don't need it. So, keep praying that my 'crit levels go up in the next week...I'm hard at work trying to get them up myself...

Until then, here's a picture of me after I pulled my feeding tube out again. I think that I'm hysterical...that's why I'm smiling!!

2 comments:

  1. Hi everyone
    I haven't been able to log on for awhile and just spent some time catching up. It is amazing how much Jack has progressed. It is great that he is continuing to gain weight and we will pray for the 'crit' level to go up. The latest picture of him is adorable and the likenesses of both mom and dad are very evident. What a gift.
    Karen L

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a wonderful 1st Christmas Jack! Lots of Love, Jenny and Brendan

    ReplyDelete